Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Test Results: Part I

Sorry for the long post, but I know some of you were wanting as many details as possible of Peter's test results, so this is all I know!

We only met with student docs today, so at this point we just have a vague picture of the test results. In some ways this is reassuring because if the tests indicated anything particularly worrisome I'm sure someone would have met with us right away.

*For now, we know the MRI showed a few small abnormal spots in Peter's brain, possibly from a lack of blood flow to those areas during his illness. I'm hesitant to mention this because we really don't know what this means for Peter right now, and it sure sounds horrible! But this is one aspect we are certainly praying for in his recovery, and we are hopeful that as he continues to recover that he will have no lasting damage.

*His EEG was much improved since last time. The neurologist will be able to give us a better picture of whether Peter's activity levels in the scan are typical for his age or still not quite where they need to be. He does have to take his seizure med/relaxant now for at least 6-8 weeks when we get home, and then we will have a followup visit for further tests and see if he still needs it. I'm very ready to meet with that neurologist!

We had two meetings with a PT and OT. Peter was tracking really well and playing with his hands. I learned some more good exercises to help Peter recover from his long hospital stay. The PT said that on average it takes 3 days for a baby to regain full, normal activity for every 1 day at the hospital. That was alarming to me at first because that's over 2 months! But she said it might be more like 3 weeks since it was just over one week that he was completely inactive in the PICU. A lot of the exercises involve a lot of holding time. I think I'm up for the challenge:) She even gave some tips on how Joseph Michael can be involved.

Peter will also be referred to the First Steps program. He'll have home visits to make sure different aspects of his development are on track and will be assessed/giving interventions accordingly. My Junior year I had a class on childhood assessment taught by a First Steps director and PT. I think the program will be really beneficial for Peter and our family in general because all of our children will benefit from activities that foster proper development. I've been particularly grateful during this experience for my college coursework that applies so well to what our family is going through right now.

Our family got to visit with Grama Lee at lunch time and then she helped with getting work done with tires and gave Joseph Michael a good break from the hospital (and I got to take my first nap in awhile, thank you!). Granpa Jim and Granma Lin took turns watching Peter for us while we did the class/bedtime swap one more time during our stay here. Peter loves time with his grandparents! Bishop and Sister Creed and my sisters also stopped by and visited Peter.

Joseph Michael was so sweet and oh so awake tonight while Joey had his late class. We had a nice time together as I tried to help him go to bed. We think he is trying to say his name when he says "Bucko-Buckol" (Joseph Michael) in a cute sing-song voice. Well, when I left home tonight to come back to the hospital, our little Bucko-Buckol came out with his dad. They both waved, and Joseph Michael waved so big and was saying "bye, bye!" If you've been around him lately you'll know exactly how adorable he sounds when he says it. I was so sad to leave them. Then I got to the hospital and saw sweet Peter sleeping so peacefully, and I wouldn't want to leave him either. Two more nights, and we'll all be at home TOGETHER!

I'll post as soon as I can after we know more specifically about the test results. Thank you for continuing to pray for our sweet little one.

No comments:

Post a Comment